Some words just make your mouth water – and cookie dough is one of them! This cake won first prize in a contest years ago and with good reason! I already decided that this will be the cheesecake I serve my guests this Shavuos. Well, maybe one of the cheesecakes…. You see, my friends Shirley and Chaim Cohen eat by us the first night of Shavuos each year. Every year when I invite Shirley, I tell her that I don’t know if and what we’ll eat because I don’t know when I’ll have time to cook, and she always answers me with a laugh “that’s OK, we’ll have 4 courses of cheesecake!” And she’s not joking – it’s my family that would have an issue with that…..
- 1-3/4 cups crushed chocolate chip cookies or chocolate wafer crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- COOKIE DOUGH:
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- In a small bowl, combine cookie crumbs and sugar; stir in butter.
- Press onto the bottom and 1 in up the sides of a greased 9-in. pan. Place pan on a baking sheet; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in sour cream and vanilla. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Pour over crust; set aside.
- In another bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add water and vanilla. Gradually add flour and mix well. Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips.
- Drop dough by teaspoonfuls over filling, gently pushing dough below surface (dough should be completely covered by filling). Place pan on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until center is almost set.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove sides of pan. Sprinkle with remaining chips. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Yield: 12-16 servings.